This Building, located at 87 Alfred Street and situated next to the Murweh Shire Council Office, is the former premises of the Queensland National Bank which established a branch in Charleville on the 30th day of July 1881. It was purchased by the Charleville and District Historical Society Inc. in 1973. It is the oldest building still on its original site in Alfred Street.
This building was designed, for the fee of 142/15/-, by former Colonial Architect F.D.G. Stanley who designed such buildings as the old Supreme Court house in Brisbane, the Queensland Club, the Head Office of the Queensland National Bank Bank and the Rockhampton Queensland National Bank. It was built in 1888/89 by A. Anderson for the sum of 2049/14/9. A well was sunk for an additional 56/10/-.

The property was sold in 1942 to Mr. Alex Smith who used it as a private residence during his lifetime. After his death it was converted into a boarding house by his daughter, Mrs. Claude Young. There are many stories to be told about its past and its residents.

Special features - Building

The buildings features white and black marble fire-places, high ceilings with intricately carved rosettes, cedar doors and architraves, and some white ceramic door knobs.
Porcelaine key hole keepers can still be seen on some doors. Wide verandas on all sides are an essential part of the building. It is listed by the National Trust.

Opening Hours
- Mon - Friday 9.00am to 3.00pm
- Saturday 9.00 am to 12 noon. - -Other times subject to availability of volunteers.- Ph. Charleville
4654 3349 or A/H 46541986.
- Group bookings welcome.
Admission for adults is $5.00 and school children 50c.

Special features - Outside

In the spacious grounds and park area can be seen

The original Charleville Rail Ambulance purchased by the society in 1985 has been restored by local students and occasionally travels the Charleville rails..

In October 1986 work was started on the erection of the Bicentennial Shed which now houses a fully operative restored Marshall Steam Engine used on Oakwood Station and the 1925 Dennis Fire Engine.

Special features - Inside

The society has set aside the main front room, formally the bank chambers, as a Local History museum, housing old documents, photos, genealogical files, and numerous items relating to the original period.

The old vault has been restored and is used to house valuable records including, old news papers, books, maps, family history, cemetery records etc.


The former Pantry now houses the bottle display and Aboriginal artifacts. The front entrance houses a collection of books and souvenirs for sale.

A bedroom and dining room have been furnished as in the early period, also the original kitchen and maid's room. Special functions may be catered for in the tea room, the grounds are available for hire, and the meeting room for group meetings.

Charleville & District Historical Society Inc.
87 Alfred Street. Next to the Shire Council Chambers.
P.O. Box 128 Charleville. Queensland. 4470 Australia
Ph. 07 4654 3349 ---------Fax. 07 46547351
Web. www.charlevillehistorichouse.com.au

Click here for more on the Museum and Charleville